Sunday, January 25, 2015

2nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

18 January 2015

EntranceWill you come and follow me
Penitential RiteSt Gabriel (mtgf)
GloriaNewman (James MacMillan)
Psalm 39Here I am, Lord (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationAlleluia Beati (Christopher Walker)
Preparation of GiftsI'll love the Lord (John Bell)
Eucharistic AcclamationsSt Annes (James MacMillan)
Lamb of GodNewman (James MacMillan)
Communion Antiphon You have prepared a table (mtgf)
CommunionBehold the Lamb of God (Martin Willett)
FinalForth in the peace

So Mass Settings for Ordinary Time. This is our third year of using the MacMillan settings - it is hard to tell if the congregation has taken to them. Unlike other settings we have stuck with one Memorial Acclamation (When we eat) as I find the word underlay more awkward in the other two.

The psalm setting was a possible indulgence - one I wrote some 26 years ago and I was more harmonically adventurous then. I have used the melody of the response, which I think has a pleasing symmetry, in subsequent settings. In this setting the response text is split, so first 'Here I am, Lord' and then in response to the 3rd verse 'I come to do your will' before coming together at the end.

It is strange, in some ways, that one thinks of many hymns as more suited to one part of Mass than another. Will you come and follow me we usually use at the end of Mass - possibly as though being at Mass was not about following.

No comments:

Post a Comment