Monday, May 9, 2011

3rd Sunday of Easter

8 May 2011

EntranceSing of one who walks
GloriaGlory to God (Berthier)
Psalm Show us, Lord (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationCeltic (O'Carroll/Walker)
Preparation of GiftsNo longer I (Bob Hurd)
Eucharistic AcclamationsGathering (Paul Inwood)
Lamb of God (Berthier)
CommunionEaster Evening (John Bell)
FinalO praise ye the Lord

Another baptism and the choices divided neatly between baptism and Emmaus - I could not think of anything that bound the two closely together. The first reading and psalm had baptismal elements - and it is why I thought it important to use the response in the Lectionary rather than just repeat the psalm setting from the Vigil. No longer I is a setting that we used to sing on Easter Sunday as a simple reflection. I once used it with a group of Franciscan sisters and it spoke directly to their spirituality. On Sunday it was intended a response for all the baptised. I may have 'missed a meeting' but I have never fully understood the connection between O praise ye the Lord and baptism. Yes, there is 'sons of new birth' and it is a hymn of praise but I presume there is something obvious I am missing. So with this weak connection and also as a hymn I thought would be known by those who were not regulars it was our final hymn.

I always think the last line of the opening hymn should be 'we will never walk alone'. Now I can see why it isn't but the internal logic of the text suggests it. It is a good hymn for Easter Evening Prayer; in the morning the darkness has to become metaphorical - it is a fine text. We sing it to Hyfrydol - it would good to use the suggested US tune in Laudate at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment