Sunday, July 18, 2010

16th Sunday in Ordinary Time

18 July 2010

EntranceAll are welcome (Marty Haugen)
Penitential RiteSt Gabriel (mtgf)
GloriaJeanne Jugan Gloria (Christopher Walker)
Psalm 14The just will live (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationAlleluia (Murray)
Preparation of GiftsThere is a longing (Anne Quigley)
Eucharistic AcclamationsNo Greater Love (Michael Joncas)
Lamb of GodSt Gabriel (mtgf)
CommunionHere I stand (John Bell)
FinalLord of all hopefulness

The welcome guest: known or unknown finds welcome. All are welcome seems to find its way on lists of US bloggers' least favourite hymns. Its main fault is that is vision is primarily horizontal yet a major theme is that this is a place where God is at work. My guess is that if there is genuine musical dislike it stems from overuse rather than the melody itself which is well constructed. It is actually quite a while since we have sung it and though it took some time before it was sung with confidence it seemed to be sung well this morning. I am more intrigued by a list of ten pieces of recent liturgical music that a chant aficionado does not mind.

One of today's Communion antiphon reads:

I stand at the door and knock, says the Lord. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and sit down to supper with him, and he with me.

Not only did connect with the readings it also gave a chance to sing John Bell's chant Here I stand. It's one of those pieces which, to my mind, that John Bell enjoys the construction of pieces and the singability of each part. We sang it with Psalm 22 using a 2-part tone based on the Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment