Friday, April 14, 2017

5th Sunday of Lent

2 April 2017

Entrance For God so loved the world (mtgf)
Penitential Rite Missa Ubi Caritas (Bob Hurd)
Psalm 129 With the Lord (mtgf)
Gospel Acclamation Lenten (mtgf)
Preparation of Gifts Miserere (Rihards Dubra)
Eucharistic Acclamations Missa Ubi Caritas (Bob Hurd)
Lamb of God Missa Ubi Caritas (Bob Hurd)
Communion Antiphon Everyone who lives (mtgf)
Communion I am the Resurrection (Bob Hurd)
Final Gift of love

We were joined by 70 local Catenians this morning. Though they participated with vigour it made one take a step back and reflect on how much might be unfamiliar to them. I am not sure what might our common repertoire be - especially as I would consider that the local Lenten journey through the Sundays has precedence. but that said it also highlights what seems to me to a problem with those who are broadly 'anti-hymn' in the liturgy. It seems to me that however 'liturgical' the rest there is the need for a good sing which a hymn provides. I am writing this on the evening of Good Friday and I think an important moment in that liturgy is the communal singing of When I survey after Communion - a gift to us from the non-conformist tradition.

The piece by Richards Dubra had been sung by the University Choir in Leeds. It is good to find place for such pieces in our worship. Today because it climaxes on 'and live' - which seemed a command to Lazarus.

No comments:

Post a Comment