Sunday, September 25, 2011

26th Sunday in Ordinary Time

25 September 2011

EntranceLord Jesus Christ, you have come to us ()
Penitential RiteSt Gabriel's (mtgf)
GloriaSt Gabriel's (mtgf)
Psalm 24Remember your mercy, O Lord (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationSalisbury (Christopher Walker)
Preparation of GiftsMay we have the mind of Christ (Marty Haugen)
Eucharistic AcclamationsCreation (Marty Haugen)
Lamb of GodSt Gabriel's (mtgf)
CommunionJesus, Saviour (mtgf)
FinalAt the name of Jesus

This time of year I am trying to keep things a little simple so that anyone new whether in the choir or congregation will not feel too out of place. Hence the hymns are chosen from a list of ones I think most people should know (whilst also picking up themes in the liturgy) — it might not be a bad exercise to write down this mental list.

As the Phillipians Canticle was part of the 2nd reading it was hard to ignore it (it's the final hymn too). Marty Haugen's setting which we have done once before I think, and so gave a new view on the text, includes the previous verse 'May we have the mind of Christ'. 'Jesus, Saviour' is an alternative refrain for an Advent Song I wrote in Cantate. I think the text is in part editorial to complement the verses from Psalm 24 which were in the original. I don't think I have used it before. I thought the end of the first line needed a longer text phrase to run across two musical phrases otherwise it sounds a bit bitty.

In Roman Missal news we sang the (first) Memorial Acclamation straight through today, rather than cantor first. I am aware that we need to get all three acclamations sung as I suspect it is easier to do now than next time. That is much a comment on my planing as the congregation's engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment