Sunday, February 15, 2015

6th Sunday in Ordinary Time

15 February 2015

EntranceAll my hope on God is founded
Penitential RiteSt Gabriel (mtgf)
GloriaNewman (James MacMillan)
Psalm 31You are my refuge, O Lord (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationAlleluia Beati (Christopher Walker)
Preparation of GiftsThy mercy, O Lord God (Marcello)
Eucharistic AcclamationsSt Annes (James MacMillan)
Lamb of GodNewman (James MacMillan)
Communion AntiphonThey ate and had their fill. (mtgf)
CommunionHow can I repay the Lord (mtgf)
FinalPraise my soul

Praise my soul included lots of Alleluias to prepare us for Lent. How can I repay is a setting of Ps 115 for equal voices which I wrote for year B last round - for when we hear John 6. I remembered it when looking for other settings of Psalm 115 - it fitted with Eucharist and the thanksgiving for being healed.

The MacMillan settings were the last ones of the new translation we introduced in January 2013. We had sung the St Anne's previously and it was commended as a diocesan setting. I thought it would take 3 years to get them known. This morning people were definitely singing them. I have been struck in recent weeks that the Newman Gloria reminds a little of Chris Walker's St Augustine's Gloria — one of few unrevised settings I miss. It is the rising sequence of notes which is sung starting on progressively rising pitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment