Sunday, March 2, 2014

8th Sunday in Ordinary Time

2 March 2014

EntranceAll my hope on God is founded
Penitential RiteSt Gabriel (mtgf)
GloriaNewman (James MacMillan)
Psalm 61 In God alone (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationAlleluia Beati (Christopher Walker)
Preparation of GiftsLead kindly light (Howard Goodall)
Eucharistic AcclamationsSt Annes (James MacMillan)
Lamb of GodNewman (James MacMillan)
Communion AntiphonBehold, I am with you (mtgf)
CommunionRestless is the heart (Bernadette Farrell)
FinalOut of Darkness (Christopher Walker)

Originally I had planned for the opening hymn to be My soul is longing for your peace. It picked up ideas of trust in God and the image of mother and child. However I suspected that it would be unfamiliar to the other singers and so picked a more well know hymn.

This is Sunday which rarely appears unless Easter is quite late. I was surprised when I looked at my files to see an unfinished setting last looked at in 2001. The psalm text is quite simple and in some ways mores songlike than usual - so the setting was completed.

Last week we were at the Cathedrals Group Choirs' Festival. Today we sang a movement from a piece we learnt for it 4 years ago in Lincoln: Lead kindly light from Howard Goodall's Eternal Light. I was not a fan of the complete work but I thought this was a good setting of an awkward text. I am not sure that it is a good hymn text, a similar thought struck me singing a Keble text at an Evensong a few weeks ago. Both were written as devotional poetry and have a personal element on which one might criticise in more contemporary texts.

We ended with Out of Darkness - its last outing before Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment