Friday, October 26, 2012

29th Sunday in Ordinary Time

21 October 2012

EntranceChrist be our light
Penitential RiteSt Gabriel (mtgf)
GloriaAngels and Saints (Steven Janco)
Psalm 32May your love be upon us (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationSalisbury (Christopher Walker)
Preparation of GiftsOurs were the griefs (Stephen Dean)
Eucharistic AcclamationsCreation (Marty Haugen)
Lamb of GodAngels and Saints (Steven Janco)
Communion AntiphonThe Son of Man has come (mtgf)
CommunionChristus factus est (Anerio)
FinalPraise to the holiest
VoluntaryPostlude Improvisation sur Ave Maris Stella (Dupré)

Another prophecy of the Passion - which is reinforced by the first reading. This lead to the Stephen Dean setting of Isaiah/1 Peter which we always enjoy and Anerio's setting of Philippians 2 at Communion. I had considered further Dean at Comminion - Father, if this cup which would have picked up the reference in Gospel to Can you drink the cup that I must drink? but with the Communion antiphon (this week a direct quotation from the Gospel) it seems to me that two antiphonal pieces might be too much.

I also went to the evening Mass to encourage the musicians. We used the same Mass parts, so that they can be used when we have a common celebration. I decided on a Common Psalm - 121 - which can be used in over the coming weeks. And apart from Christ be our light the other choices were different. As I am sure I have mentioned before it seems to me a strength of the reformed liturgy that the same liturgical texts can lead to different, yet appropriate, music choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment