Sunday, September 23, 2012

25th Sunday in Ordinary Time

23 September 2012

EntranceBrother, sister let me serve you
Penitential RiteSt Gabriel (mtgf)
GloriaAngels and Saints (Steven Janco)
Psalm 52The Lord upholds my life. (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationSalisbury (Christopher Walker)
Preparation of GiftsO God, you search me (Bernadette Farrell)
Eucharistic AcclamationsCreation (Marty Haugen)
Lamb of GodAngels and Saints (Steven Janco)
Communion AntiphonI am the good shepherd (mtgf)
CommunionChrist our peace (Marty Haugen)
FinalBe thou my vision

I am not sure whether there are many good texts which deal with Christ's prophecy of his Passion - suggestions would be welcome. Singing a 'passion tide' hymn seems not quite to be the same, such as When I survey or My song is love unknown. All that is hidden is a possibility but as we were unaccompanied and it would be new to 1 or 2 it was discounted.

In the end I went in an opposite direction and went for the Servant Song which I hoped captured something of the truth of relationships in the Gospel. There was also an element of stewardship, which I think is another one of those skills referred to last week, it will be sung at the Academic Mass next week and so may prove more familiar to some at that point.

I did want to pick up the image of children in the Gospel and wondered about a setting of Psalm 130(131). The Walker setting was dismissed as again possibly unsustainable unaccompanied. I had suggested the Deiss My soul is longing for your peace but circumstances in the week meant I was not able to follow this through. Looking at the readings again I went for Christ our peace.

A final comment about the psalm response which is one of those I find too short - again is this a shared view?

No comments:

Post a Comment