Sunday, October 3, 2010

27th Sunday in Ordinary Time

3 October 2010

EntranceWe walk by faith
Penitential RiteSt Gabriel (mtgf)
GloriaSt Gabriel (mtgf)
Psalm 94O that today (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationAlleluia Beati (Christopher Walker)
Preparation of GiftsListen Lord (John Bell)
Eucharistic AcclamationsMass of Creation (Marty Haugen)
Lamb of GodSt Gabriel (mtgf)
CommunionLead me, Lord (SS Wesley)
FinalBe thou my vision

Listen, Lord was new to us and we enjoyed the typically rich harmony which develops from the singable vocal parts. We left the verses as solo but we may look at the harmony of these at a later date. In these Sundays at the beginning of the academic year there is an element of setting out one's stall, saying this is what we do and trying to represent that. I am not sure we get it right or whether it is even something to be aware of.

I have never been sure of Marty Haugen's tune for We walk by faith as one that accessible by congregations. I am quite sure many do manage it; I am not sure we ever have. We sang the text to Belmont, which seemed to fit the words well. I also like Barbara Bridge's use of Jesu dulcis memoria for this text. At the end of Mass I reflected that I might have had the same nervousness if I had to introduce Be thou my vision when Lord of all hopefulness was already known — or vice versa. A confession we were going to Lord of all hopefulness this morning but I gave the wrong number for the hymnboard…

No comments:

Post a Comment