Saturday, December 27, 2014

Christmas - Day Mass

25 December 2014

EntranceOnce in royal David's city
Penitential RiteSt Gabriel (mtgf)
GloriaChristmas (Paul Gibson)
Psalm 97All the ends of the earth (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationSalisbury Alleluia (Christopher Walker)
Preparation of GiftsSing we the Virgin Mary (Niles)
Eucharistic AcclamationsCreation (Marty Haugen)
Lamb of GodChristmas (mtgf)
Communion AntiphonAll the ends of the earth (mtgf)
CommunionChild of my heart (Scottish arr. Hagen)
Away in a manger
FinalO little town of Bethlehem

Both Mass during the night and at 11am were full - I would suggest more than our usual congregation.This will partly because outside term time we gain those who may usually go to the evening Mass but as well as regulars having families staying we also a fair number of the less frequent locals and former students.

I realised that I need to make a list of our Christmas repertoire as we fall on various pieces each year with different choir members having their favourites. And each we add a couple of new pieces or perhaps resurrect. Child of my heart is a Marty Haugen arrangement of a Scottish tune which also used by the Iona Community. Where the Iona version (Cloth for the cradle) is lively; this is a gentle lullaby. It is probably 20 years since I last used it but it is a lovely melody. On re-looking I find I want to tweak the words for either sentimentality or what is possibly dated cliché — but a lot of Christmas music would be at risk in the light of those comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment