Sunday, August 26, 2012

21st Sunday n Ordinary Time

26 August 2012

EntranceFirmly I believe
Penitential RiteAt the Table of the Lord (Collegeville Composers Group)
GloriaAt the Table of the Lord (Collegeville Composers Group)
Psalm 33Taste and see (Stephen Dean)
Gospel Acclamation (Murray)
Preparation of GiftsHow can I repay (mtgf)
Eucharistic AcclamationsMissal (ICEL)
Lamb of GodLamb of God 9 (mtgf)
Communion AntiphonWhoever eats my flesh (mtgf)
CommunionOne in body (Christopher Walker)
FinalAlleluia, sing to Jesus

We might have begun with Bernadette Farrell's Your words are spirit but we had a more credal statement. I could not think of a setting of Lord, to who shall we go or at least one that would work for us - but that might have been a stronger beginning.

I have been happier with this 'mini-season' this year, more so than in the past. One factor was the use of the Communion Antiphon, which echoed the gospel and provided a musical connecting thread over the weeks. I am not sure how well it was picked up, this stills seems to me to be the musical challenge to a liturgical sensibility. This week I wanted a sense of summation and thought Psalm 115 might provide a suitable text. I had originally considered Stephen Dean's setting but as we are unaccompanied at the moment it's chromatic wanderings were perhaps a little risky. I wrote a close harmony setting which I think we may use again.

This sense of a conclusion was behind using both the Walker at Communion and final hymn.

No comments:

Post a Comment