Monday, December 12, 2011

Third Sunday of Advent

11 December 2011

EntranceLonging, trusting (mtgf)
Penitential RiteOrbis factor
Psalm - Magnificat My soul rejoices (mtgf)
Gospel AcclamationSalisbury (Christopher Walker)
Preparation of GiftsSong of God among us (Huijbers)
Eucharistic AcclamationsCreation (Marty Haugen)
Lamb of GodAdvent (mtgf)
CommunionOn Jordan's Bank (Monteverdi)
FinalBlest be the Lord (Bernadette Farrell)

On Jordan's Bank is an anglicised version of Monteverdi's Deus tuorum militum from Selva morale of 1640 - I suspect you could fit many Common metre (?) hymns to it. The Gospel was also taken up by one of my favourite pieces by Huijbers - it has a lean simplicity that is beautifully crafted. John the Baptist's final appearance was in the Benedictus at the end - as I am sure I have said before I do think it is important that people sing texts such as this - even as a paraphrase.

The Magnificat setting was new and still needs a little work - the accompaniment was probably a little busy. In the refrain I repeated 'rejoice' twice - this chimed in with Gaudete - partly to give it a slight over the top feel which I think did work.

We have been singing the 3rd acclamation, Save us Saviour, for Advent. It seems to me the least successful mostly because of the ¾ bar which does not yet feel natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment