Monday, April 19, 2010

3rd Sunday of Easter

18 April 2010



Entrance The stone which the builders rejected
Gloria Glory to God (Berthier)
Psalm 29 I will praise you, Lord (mtgf)
Gospel Acclamation Celtic (O'Carroll/Walker)
Preparation of Gifts Lead me, Lord (SS Wesley)
Eucharistic Acclamations Gathering (Paul Inwood)
Lamb of God O Lamb of God (Berthier)
Communion If you love me (Collegeville Composer's Group)
Final This joyful Eastertide


I was obviously slightly confused last week as I had it in my head that the gospel this week was the journey to Emmaus - I will have to wait another year before hearing that text. Instead it was the catch of fish and Jesus' questions to Peter. Perhaps because of my confusion I found this a hard gospel to choose music to accompany. Wesley's Lead me, Lord was a weak response to Jesus' words to Peter about his future path. The Psallite response at communion was a much closer text. The given psalm was 77 which seemed strangely topical with lines like 'he rained on them food like dust'.

I suggested last week that the Easter lectionary is diffuse. In other seasons I can say what the season/lectionary is about: Lent = baptism and repentance; Advent = preparation for Christ's coming, I am beginning to think the Easter lectionary is about the Church - as a sacrament of the risen Christ. This needs further reflection over the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment